Family ‘living a life sentence’ as teen who killed pal in car crash spared jail

Family ‘living a life sentence’ as teen who killed pal in car crash spared jail

The family of a teenager who died after her friend crashed into a lorry have spoken about ‘living a ‘life sentence’ after she was spared jail.

Georgia Ogden, 17, was killed on her dad’s 50th birthday when 18-year-old Millie Beard crashed into the HGV as she drove the Suzuki Swift in Astbury, Cheshire, on June 25 last year.

Beard admitted causing the death of Georgia by careless/inconsiderate driving and was disqualified from driving for two years and must pass a extended test of competence before she is allowed back behind a wheel.

Following the sentence, Georgia’s heartbroken family told CheshireLive that ‘no sentence will ever be enough’ because nothing will bring back their ‘beautiful, loving, caring, sassy’ girl.

They said: “We are absolutely heartbroken that neither us or any representatives for us got the opportunity to hear the sentencing which would have helped us possibly move forward.

“However, no sentence will ever be enough because nothing will ever bring our gorgeous Georgia back.

“The devastating reality is that we are the ones living with a sentence, a life sentence, without our beautiful, loving, caring, sassy daughter Georgia in our lives.

“We are so truly devastated by the whole thing and events that have followed since.”

Crewe Magistrates’ Court heard Georgia, who worked at a children’s play centre, was a passenger alongside another teenage girl.

Beard, from Somerford, and the other teenager suffered serious injuries following the crash.

Georgia’s heartbroken dad Mark previously paid tribute to his ‘beautiful’ and ‘bubbly’ daughter.

He said: “It’s hard when you lose somebody but when you lose a child it’s another level.

“She was constantly singing and dancing in her bedroom and around the house, to the point where you would just turn behind you and she would be dancing and singing down your ear.

“I still miss her, we all miss her.”

Beard was also sentenced to a community order and will be on electronically monitored curfew each Friday, Saturday and Sunday between the hours of 7pm and 7am the following day for six months from March 26.

She was also ordered to pay costs and a surcharge totalling £180.